Sunday, January 16, 2011

Movies

     As a film buff (or at least a wannabe film buff), I'm always into what's out there in terms of the latest films, whether they be flops, successes, critically acclaimed films, critically bashed films, big-budget studio releases, smaller indie films, and foreign films of any genre (although I like certain films more than others). This post comes at a good time, as the Golgen Globes recently wrapped up.  Movie-watching is just one of my hobbies, and I'm sure I will talk about more hobbies in future blog entries (for example, two other ones I've been doing a lot lately is reading and playing guitar). 
      One stereotype that I see among people is that people can think of people with disabilities as rather clean-cut. They don't do anything such as watching films that have anything beyond a "PG-13" rating. I'm not at all saying the actions depicted in these films are always socially appropriate, though, but still the films are out there for filmgoers to see if they want. I've encountered some people I'd say were accquaintances (not friends, as my friends know me too well to make the assumptions I talk about in this blog entry), and they'd always jump to the conclusion that all I'd do was homework. They'd assume I'd do nothing outside the lines (so to speak) and I was always angelic, always a goody-two-shoes. Of course, these acquaintances would be taken aback when I'd make an attempt to have a normal conversation, talk about whether they've heard a certain song from a certain artist, or seen a certain movie. What is it about that? Am I not allowed to see a film depicting a rave because I'm not supposed to know what a rave is? Not allowed to see a mafia film because I don't know what the mafia is? I will admit I don't rave, I dont do drugs, and I don't want to join a gang (I have never done these and have no desire to do these either) but I'm definitely allowed to see any film that is out there, as long as I want to see it. Society and stereotypes will not define what I see on the big (or small) screen. And yes, I've seen films like Pulp Fiction and The Godfather (all three) among others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment